Friday 9 October 2015

Meet Sauk Village Police Chief Robert Kowalski



My name is Robert J. Kowalski. I am 58 years old and was born and raised in a single-parent household in Chicago, IL. I have been married for 28 years to Leisa Kowalski and we have raised two sons, Adam and Matthew. Leisa has been a Neonatal Intensive Care RN for approximately 20 years and currently works at Mercy Hospital in Chicago, IL.

Our oldest son, Adam, is a 1st Lieutenant with the Illinois Army National Guard and is completing his helicopter pilot training. Our youngest son, Matt, is a junior at Downers Grove South High School and is active on the Varsity football team. We have lived in Darien, IL for 17 years.


I graduated from Quigley North Preparatory High School and received my Bachelor of Science in Psychology from Niles College of Loyola University. I obtained my Master’s Degree in Criminal Social Justice from Lewis University and am also a graduate of the FBI Training Academy in Quantico, VA.

I have been involved in Law Enforcement for 35 years. I started my career as a Patrolman with the Village of Forest Park, IL and worked there for 9 ½ years. I resigned from Forest Park Police Department after being selected as a Special Agent with the Federal Bureau of Investigation. After completing my FBI training in Quantico, VA, I was assigned to various FBI offices in Indiana and Illinois. I retired from the FBI in 2010, after 30 years in law enforcement.

At this time I took a position in the private sector as the National Director of Security for Career Education Corporation for 3 ½ years. My desire to return to a career in law enforcement led me to a brief position as Chief of Security with the Department of Homeland Security in Dupage County. In 2014, I accepted a position as Director of Public Safety and Security for the Cook County Health and Hospital System.

Most recently, I have accepted the position as Chief of Police in Sauk Village, IL. My official start of duty date was September 14, 2015.

I am looking forward to serving the community of Sauk Village, Illinois and being proactive in leading the men and women of the Sauk Village Police Department. I am very proud of my career in law enforcement and honored to have been chosen as your Chief of Police.

I believe, through a cooperative effort, we can make a difference leading to a brighter future for all.